Sunday, May 1, 2011

BIG workout!


I've been doing pretty well on my workouts so far. I've missed Easter and 1 other day, not too bad. However, I missed yesterday. I was tripped on my dog's bone on Friday night, jamming my little toe. It hurt quite a bit yesterday, so I chose to skip my 40min run to make sure I didn't hurt it further. I really should avoid those dog bones. I've broken a few toes on them so far.

The toe felt much better today, so I went out for the big workout. I hit the pool for a 30 minute swim. I've fallen in love with my old pool again. The Cowling Gym pool at Carleton is great! It's in the basement of the gymnasium, and not heavily used. I get my own lane when I swim there. I missed that pool.

The swim was good. I got in 1,500 yds in 30 minutes, or at least I think I got that much in. I loose track often. That's a lot of laps to keep track of. Plus, I get scatter brained when I exercise. All that really matters is that got in 30 minutes of swimming.

Then, I hit gym for my run. It was 38 degrees with 25-30kts winds outside, so I decided to go inside. The gym wasn't busy today, so I had the track almost to myself. There was 1 other guy, walking around for 1/2 of my run. I finished 45 minutes of running is slow and steady form. My goal was to simply not walk. I wanted to get the time in and not worry to much about the distance. If I worry about the distance, the time gets daunting.

I did try to remember to keep my pace up though. I tried to run my thighs and not so much with my calves. I normally have a short stride, which keeps my pace down. When I stretch it out, I can run faster, and that's a big goal of mine.

All in all, it was a great workout. I'm beat now, but happy to have it done. Now, I'm off to varnish our new cedar ceiling in the basement. I hope my arms can hold out...

1 comment:

KK said...

I'm so proud of you. Girl, you are going to do just fine this year. i'm enjoying your blogs again too.