Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Swim 30, Run 15


I had a very busy morning and afternoon. I met with a great group of ladies for lunch and shopping. It was great, but a bit expensive. I got some great stuff though.

Wait, you're not here to hear about my day with the ladies. I really mention it to let you know why had had to wait to swim until 4:30 today. From the last 2 weeks, I learned that an afternoon swim at Carleton was not the best idea. The men's swim team uses open swim time for their practice time. Just what I need. I already feel fat and slow.

However, I had a break through. After about 10 minutes, I remembered when I rocked a swim! In Guam last summer, I got dive certified. On the first day in the water, we needed to swim 200 yds, to prove we knew how to swim. I was there with 4 other guys, and I felt like I needed to prove something to them.

I knew my strength was swimming. But, I heard another guy was a swimmer too. I got nervous for a bit. I really wanted to kick their asses! When I finished, I heard one guy say, "You've got to be kidding me!" I felt like he was shocked I was the first to finish. It felt great! However, he couldn't believe he still had more laps to do. I like my first impression :) After feeling like I've failed at a bunch of stuff, kicking the butts of those 4 guys felt pretty good.

So, with that memory in my head, I kept going. I was faster than before. Not much, but every bit counts. I feel like my swim during the triathlon will go fairly well. I can't stop swimming now though. I need to keep this as my strong event. Something to hang my hat on.

After the swim, I headed home and out on the trail for a 15 min run. The winds were over 20 mph out of the south. This didn't sound too bad, because I first head north up a big hill, so I was getting pushed uphill. The run felt good. I have no idea how fast I really went, but I think it was under an 11 min mile. That's what I want and need.

Tomorrow is a 30 minute run, followed by weight training. I'm headed to the gym to work on my speed on the indoor track. We'll see how this goes. I'm worried about my speed right now, but I think it's getting better. I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

KK said...

Woo hoo! You rocked it!

It's funny you mention kicking the boys' butts. Just yesterday, despite the gimpy shoulder, I had fun toying with the two other boys in the pool. One was fairly slow so I'd play a game to see if I could lap him after giving him a head start. The other was a stud with an Ironman cap who I just swam next to to keep pace. Fun!