Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Swim 15 Run 30

I've been able to stay on track so far. Some days... ok, everyday... it's a struggle to head out for my daily workout. I go, because I know that if I skip a day now, I'll keep skipping days. I'm pretty good at quitting things, so quitting this wouldn't be too hard. But, I can't quit. Not now. I really think I can do this. OK, I know I can do this.

So, off to the pool I went. The locker room was FULL of college girls. This is a bad sign. I didn't want to swim with a pool full of students. I quickly realized they were just finishing their swim, so I thought the pool would be mine. How wrong I was. The men's swim team decided to show up for open swim. However, the chubby girl in lane 1 scared them off and I had a lane to myself. They hovered for a while to see if I would quit soon, but I just kept going. 1,000 yard in 20 minutes. Not too bad.

After a quick change, I hit the gym for my run. Outside wasn't an option because it had snowed today. Not good. The run was slow, and that was OK. I have another run tomorrow, so I didn't need to push it too hard. But, I tried to remember to keep my pace up and not slow to the trot my legs want to go to.

There was this young guy running quickly by me for a few laps. This is not unusual. I'm usually the slowest person on the track. That's fine, because I need to remember I'm only competing with my past performances. After my 30 minute run, I stretched out and headed downstairs to grab my coat. When I got to the bottom, a woman I've never met before told me, "You go girl!" She said she saw me running and was so proud of me. She also asked that she told that boy running laps around me if he saw me out there, and asked him if he wasn't impressed by me. She said she knew how hard it was, and that I did great. Random Acts of Kindness are WONDERFUL! She made my day!

No comments: